Rifling through the archives, many from the late Joanne Ellis Allie and Rebecca Alley Fabry, I came across some history of the Kelly Lake bar.
Here is the list taken from handwritten notes of the builder/owner through present—I’m guessing this is from the daughter of Jim Bloomingale (correct me if I’m wrong).
1. Bloomingale Tavern (Built out of Bloomingale Boarding House lumber. Jim got the lumber for tearing down).
2. Jim’s Tavern
3. Freeman and Rose Gidney—bought in 1946.
4. Gean and Ann Knapp
5. Harold and Irene Weslow
6. Norb and Lisa Demerath
7. Dave and Leania Kusso (sp?)
8. Gary Vizelka (VIZ’s Kelly Lake Bar) bought October 28th, 2005.
9. Kracken Shack- -Bob Davis
Dad (My note: I believe her dad, Jim) built the tavern in 1936-’39. Picture taken in 1940; opened tavern July 3rd, 1937.
I can remember starting to go there when it was Freeman and Rosie Gidney’s as a kid for soda and candy bars (became friends of my dad and mother), and the owners from then on. How ’bout you?! How far do you date back?!
Thanks to Joanne and Rebecca for sharing this interesting history of Kelly Lake! I trust the readers enjoy and appreciate it, too. CHEERS! Roger